Saturday, November 18, 2006

Simon stuns Salford

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.usSource:

By Jonathan McKeith. Saturday, 18 November 2006.

The FA Carlsberg Vase
Second Round Proper
Saturday 18 November 2006
£1,000 to each winning club

FC United's Simon Carden scored the goal of the game as his side came from behind to beat league rivals Salford City 3-2 in the Second Round of The FA Vase.

A huge crowd - at Salford Reds rugby league side's stadium - were rewarded with a goal inside the first 120 seconds of the match. City's Tommy Turner drawing first blood for the Ammies.

Despite the early goal, the game was failing to live up to expectations as both sides struggled to replicate the passion of their league fixture early last month.

City ran out 2-1 winners that day but there was no danger of the score being repeated as United turned the game on its head with two goals in two minutes.

Stuart Rudd slammed home to bring FC United level and five minutes before half-time Carden received the ball on the edge of the box and noncholantly lifted his shot over the 'keeper and into the net.

David Chadwick added a third for United before a late Dave Burrow goal for Salford set up a tense finish.

But United held on for the victory and afterwards an understandably disappointed Salford City secretary Bill Taylor said: "It was a very flat game. The crowd weren't as vocal as the last game between the two and it didn't have the passion. We had chances at the end and could've pushed it into extra time, but that's football."

There was no shortage of passion at Romford as they drew 4-4 with Oxhey Jets after extra time.

Hussain Ali gave the visitors a 34th minute lead only to see his strike cancelled out six minutes later by Romford's Ben Turner.

The home side looked to have booked their passage into the next round with Patrick Elbi's strike 20 minutes from time but Steve Stratford pushed the match into extra time with an equaliser for the Jets three minutes into injury time.

And the goals didn't stop in extra time either. Lee Pyne put Romford back in front before Ian Holdom levelled for the the South Midlands League side.

Romford, who were playing with ten men following John Maskell's sending off, looked to be on their way out after Stratford's second - only for Des Gallen to save the day five minutes from the end.

Romford secretary Colin Ewuenson said: "That was good end to end stuff but we were on top for most of the game, even with ten men. We'll be confident going into Wednesday night's replay."

Elsewhere, there were big wins for Newcastle Benfield (Bay Plastics) as they thrashed Dunston Federation Brewery 6-1 away, while Curzon Ashton went one better as they beat Parkgate 7-1.

Potton United and Ruislip Manor drew 3-3 in another high-scoring tie.