Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Ollie's volley steals victory

07:00 - 26 August 2008

BOSTON UNITED boss Tommy Taylor is eager for his team to replicate the performance that saw them beat FC United of Manchester 1-0 yesterday.

The former Leyton Orient chief was delighted with the creativity that his team displayed in the UniBond League Premier Divison clash which his team won thanks to an Ollie Ryan goal in the first half at Gigg Lane.

“I sat the boys down after the final whistle and asked them if they could do that again for me,” said Taylor.

“I believe if we put in that performance every week then there will be nobody who can touch us.

“The display we put in saw us get back to all the good things we were doing in pre-season.

“We closed down the opposition when they had the ball and created plenty of chances ourselves.”

The Pilgrims took the lead in the 37th minute when Liam Parker’s long throw fell to Ryan’s feet and he smashed home a volley to claim his third goal in as many games.

Taylor’s charges went on to create more opportunities, but failed to put them away, something that frustrated goalscorer Ryan.

“It was as if I put the hardest one to score away,” said Ryan.

“I’m kicking myself a bit because I had several chances created for me."

For more reaction from Ryan see today's Lincolnshire Echo.