Sunday, October 24, 2010


Source: North West Evening Mail

Goals: FC United: Carlos Roca (78)
Attendance: 3,229

BARROW AFC crashed out of this season's FA Cup following a 1-0 defeat at lower-league FC United in the fourth qualifying round today (Sunday).

The only goal of the game came 12 minutes from the end when a shot by Norton was prodded in from close range by Carlos Roca.

The two sides couldn't be seperated after an even first half, which the hosts started well but Barrow settled into. The best chance fell to the hosts when Jerome Wright bent a shot just past the post. For AFC, Walker had an effort saved and Chadwick shot wide with a 10-yard effot.

FC United started the second half really brightly and but for some great goalkeeping from Shaun Pearson would have taken the lead. The hosts came close on the hour mark when Mike Norton hit the foot of the post. They eventually got the goal their second-half dominance deserved in the 78th minute.

FC United will travel to League One Rochdale in the first round proper.

The Bluebirds made three changes to the side that lost 3-1 at Cambridge United eight days ago. Striker Nick Chadwick made his first start after returning from a knee injury suffered in pre-season, while midfielder Mark Boyd and defender Phil Bolland were also given starting berths. Marc Goodfellow returned from an ankle injury to take a place on the bench, alongside Robin Hulbert, Paul Rutherford, Gregg Blundell, Danny Forrest and Dave Bayliss. The three players who lost their places following the loss at Cambridge were Rutherford, James Owen (suspended) and Neil Wainwright (ineligible).

Barrow and FC United of Mancehster knew prior to kick-off that the reward for winning the tie was a first round trip to Rochdale. The Spotland outfit currently sit ninth in Football League One.

The Bluebirds arrived at Gigg Lane on the back of a seven-game winless run which has resulted in them falling into the Blue Square Bet Premier relegation zone. The hosts - formed in 2005 following the resentment of some Manchester United fans to the Galzers' takeover at Old Trafford - had won their last three Evo Stick League Premier Division games. The two sides had never met before today.

FC United, who are managed by former Bluebirds midfielder Karl Marginson, beat Radcliffe Borough, Gainsborough and Norton to reach the fourth qualifying of the competition.

Barrow AFC: Shaun Pearson, Simon Spender, Paul Edwards, Phil Bolland, Paul Jones, Mike Pearson, Darren Sheridan, Mark Boyd, Ciaran Donnelly, Jason Walker, Nick Chadwick. Subs: Robin Hulbert, Paul Rutherford, Marc Goodfellow, Gregg Blundell, Danny Forrest, Dave Bayliss.

FC United of Manchester: Sam Ashton, Kyle Jacobs, Lee Neville, James Holden, Karl Munroe, Scott McManus, Carlos Roca, Jake Cottrell, Mike Norton, Jerome Wright, Ben Deegan. Subs: Glynn Hurst, Zach Hibbert, Simon Carden, Nicky Platt, Chris Ovington, David Chadwick, Scott Chhetham.

Referee: M Heywood.
Don't forget to read tomorrow's Evening Mail for full match report, photos and reaction.