Monday, October 24, 2011

Blues blown away by FC United of Manchester in FA Trophy

 Source: Hemsworth and Southelmsall Express

 FRICKLEY Athletic were blown out of the FA Trophy at the first qualifying round stage on Saturday when freescoring FC United of Manchester made light work of the Blues to win 4-0 at the Tech5 Stadium.

Michael Carr scored two goals while Carlos Roca and an Adam Jones own goal saw the visitors through to the next round and give Karl Marginson’s men a second win over the Blues in ten days.

It was a day to forget for Frickley, who also saw Leon Henry sent off.

Danny Walsh was sidelined with flu, meaning manager Peter Rinkcavage lined-up with five men in midfield, Jack Watts being the sole striker.

The hitman had the first chance on goal in the fifth minute but his shot lacked power and James Spencer, in the United goal, comfortably collected it.

James Ashmore also saw his free-kick cleared off the line as the Blues started brightly, but the visitors slowly found their way into the game.

United had the wind in their favour and they broke the deadlock with their first real shot on goal after 20 minutes. The Frickley defence failed to deal with a cross and Carr pounced for his first of the afternoon.

Before the Blues defence could recover it was 2-0, Roca whipping a free-kick in which Adam Jones could only divert into the back of the net at the far post.

Things could have got worse just after the half-hour mark but Roca, who was brought down inside the box, saw his penalty well saved by Frickley stopper Adam Billard.

Frickley’s goal remained under siege and there was better fortune was Roca ten minutes later when his free-kick struck the crossbar but found its way over the line off the back off a diving Billard.

And straight from the restart Frickley’s miserable first half came to an end with Carr nipping in for his second of the match and Henry seeing red for a late tackle on Jake Cottrell on the stroke of half-time.

Chances came at both ends in the second half but the damage had already been done and it was United who progressed into the next round.

Frickley: Adam Billard, Kelvin Bleau, David Cyrus (Brad Grayson 46), Stuart Ludlam, Lincoln Adams, Michael Simpkins, Grant Darley, James Ashmore, Jack Watts (Ollie Ryan 57), Ryan Mallon, Leon Henry. Unused subs: Mark Whitehouse, Karl Jones, Ben Saynor.

FC United: James Spencer, Kyle Jacobs (Greg Stones 55), Lee Neville, Jake Cottrell, Adam Jones (David Chadwick 81), Dean Stott, Carlos Roca, Michael Carr, Mike Norton, Matthew Wolfenden, Astley Mulholland (James Holden 73). Unused subs: Daniel Grimshaw, Nicky Platt.

Referee: Mr Gary Chapman

Attendance: 524.

See this week’s Hemsworth and South Elmsall Express for all the latest sports news from around the area.

Published on Monday 24 October 2011 10:51