Sunday, September 02, 2007

FC United debut success


The FA Cup
Preliminary Round
Saturday 2 September 2007

FC United of Manchester have made a triumphant debut in The FA Cup by beating local rivals Trafford 5-2 in front of 2,500 at Altrincham’s Moss Lane ground.

The game proved to be an end-to-end affair as FC United – formed by Manchester United fans disgruntled when the Glazer family took control at Old Trafford - raced into an early two goal lead before Trafford hit back to level.

FC United took control in the second half, however, with Robert Nugent, Simon Carden, Joshua Howard, Nick Platt and Anthony Hargreaves scoring the goals that set up a meeting with Fleetwood in the second preliminary round.

And FC United manager Karl Marginson was delighted with his team’s performance: “We played so well,” said Marginson.

“The game was played in a great spirit and both teams were able to get the ball down and play, which made for a fantastic spectacle.

“There were some great goals and the fans have gone home having been royally entertained, so everyone is really happy at how the day has panned out.

“At the start it was almost like the old days of the FA Cup – there were fans with rosettes, cardboard cut-outs of the FA Cup and a really good attendance, which benefited both teams.

“Everyone at FC United of Manchester has waited two years since the club was formed to play in the FA Cup as so many people associated with us are former fans of Manchester United.

“I can definitely say it was worth the wait.”

And Marginson revealed history was about to repeat itself in the next round as FC United have been drawn to play Fleetwood – the team against which Newton Heath, who became Manchester United, made their FA Cup debut in 1896.

“It’s amazing that our second FA Cup game will be against the team that Manchester United made their debut against 111 years ago,” said Marginson.

“It will be a tough tie, but the spirit of the FA Cup is alive and well, and at non-league level that’s what it is all about.”

The game between the two Manchester-based sides was the only high-scoring affair in Sunday’s action, however, as Barkingside and Wootton Bassett Town won 2-1 against Hanwell Town and Bracknell Town respectively.

Elsewhere, Woodley Sports and Mossley afc drew 1-1, as did Causeway United and Westfields FC.

In the only other Sunday games Evesham United beat Gresley Rovers 1-0, while Beaconsfield SYCOB and Hungerford Town will have to replay after a 0-0 draw.