Thursday, October 16, 2008

I pray I'll kick another ball

Source: Prestwich Advertiser

Sam Kirby
16/10/2008

AN AMATEUR footballer has told of his agony at the news he may never play again after a horror tackle left his leg shattered.

Gary Edwards, 22, was playing for Bury Amateurs FC last Saturday in an away game against Heywood St James when a tackle came flying in which left him on the floor in agony.

He suffered a spiral break to his fibula and doctors fear he may never play again - devastating news for the man who considers football to be his life.

Former FC United reserve team player Gary, from Downham Crescent, Prestwich, said: "I was just playing my normal game and I’m quite a good player.

"I think they noticed that and decided to go in hard. I was fouled a couple of times and then on the last tackle I heard a snap.

"I knew straight away something was up, it was really painful."

Gary’s dad, John, rushed him to Fairfield General Hospital, where he is due to have surgery this week.

John said: "He was hacked down and it caused a spiral break to the fibula. The tackle that caught him was really bad.

"It could finish his career and the surgeon has said he might never play again.

"He is hopefully going to have an operation this week to have a plate screwed in to the back of the bone.

"He’ll have that for 12 months and then we’ll take it from there."

Gary, a keen FC United fan, had a spell playing for reds reserve team before they were disbanded last year.

He now trains with Bury Amateurs once a week, plays for the first team on Saturdays and plays five-a-side and still watches FC.

He said: "Every spare minute I get I’m always kicking a ball.

"It’s devastating to know I am going to be out for a long time at the very least.

"If the operation goes well I’m hoping I’ll make a recovery but there’s still a chance I won’t be able to play again.

"They’re delaying the operation because of the swelling and it was quite a bad break.

"I couldn’t imagine not being able to play again, it’s not worth thinking about. If they said that I don’t think I’d be able to take it."