Sunday, November 16, 2008

Guiseley lifted by late Lloyd rocket

8:24pm Sunday 16th November 2008

By Ian Whiting

Guiseley 2 FC United 2

A bumper crowd of more than 1,200 spectators made the most of a sunny but crisp afternoon at Nethermoor today and witnessed an entertaining game.

The UniBond Premier Division clash was put back 24 hours on the advice of the police – a result of Saturday’s Coca-Cola League One West Yorkshire derby at Elland Road between Leeds and Huddersfield.

Guiseley were in the runners-up spot going into the weekend and they held on to their placing after Saturday’s results.

However, they needed a late equaliser to share the spoils against FC United.

Guiseley had a dream start as they broke the deadlock in just the sixth minute. A strong run from midfield took Steve Burton within striking distance and he let fly with a fierce shot that came back off the post.

Centre forward James Hanson was the first to react and he headed the rebound home to send the Nethermoor faithful into raptures.

There was speculation that the home supporters would be vastly outnumbered but the locals turned out in force.

Their joy was shortlived though as FC United’s second top-scorer Chris Baguley netted an equaliser after 15 minutes.

Guiseley could have taken a slender lead into the interval but in the last minute of the first half Hanson headed over from an Alex Callery free-kick.

Early in the second half the Hanson and Callery connection again showed what a threat Guiseley pose from set-pieces. A free-kick was lofted into the area by Anthony Lloyd, Hanson headed it on but Callery arrived a split second too late to convert at the far post.

Just after the hour, Mark Whitely was in charge of the delivery, this time Hanson shot agonisingly wide.

The visitors snatched the lead a little over five minutes from time through leading scorer Kyle Wilson.

It is not in Guiseley’s nature to fold and they pushed for a leveller.

Centre back James Cotterill headed wide after being picked out by a Mark Thompson corner.

As the game lurched towards stoppage time, the Lions roared, Lloyd rifling in a shot from 25 yards.

Guiseley director and media officer Stuart Allen said: “It was a goal worthy of winning a game, never mind earning a point. It was one of those screamers.”

The Lions are on the road on Tuesday night when they head to Ashton United, looking to cut the deficit on leaders Hednesford, who are six points clear, having played three games more than Guiseley.