Friday, November 20, 2009

Hucknall boss Chambers admits tactical gaffe

Source: This is Nottingham
Friday, November 20, 2009, 07:00


HUCKNALL Town manager Bryan Chambers today took the blame for last week's home defeat to FC United of Manchester and insisted: "I won't make the same mistake again."

Chambers is one of the most experienced managers on the non-league scene and reckons he has clocked up close to 2,000 games in the dug-out.

But he says the 3-2 Watnall Road defeat shows he is still learning – even with his vast knowledge.

The boss has always prided himself on doing his homework on opposing teams.

But against United he chose instead to concentrate on his own team's strengths – and his lack of scouting quickly backfired.

Hucknall trailed 3-0 at the break but after a tactical change only lost 3-2 and missed a penalty.

Chambers is convinced the Yellows would have won if he'd prepared for the game in his normal manner.

"I have to hold my hands up and say to the fans it was a mistake on my part, just as I have told that to the players," he said.

"I usually know everything about the opposition, but on this occasion I decided not to worry about them and concentrated on us.

"As soon as I had seen how they played in the first half, I changed it around and put three in midfield.

"I told the players to get their heads up and said we would still get something out of the game with the new tactics – and we should have done.

"We won the second half 2-0 and missed a penalty and the majority of the fans praised the way we played and the entertainment we gave them.

"But I have learned a valuable lesson and I shall be making sure I do all the scouting I need to from now on."

Tomorrow, Hucknall visit an Ashton side who are third in the table, even though they have a goal difference of minus six.

Chambers is expecting a tough time of things at Hurst Cross. He said: "When we played them at our place we should have won comfortably but missed a lot of chances (losing 2-1).

"The fact they are so well placed shows they are not a bad side, even though they have lost a fair few games.

"There's not a lot of difference between the top and bottom – and that's reflected by the spread of points.

"I think the reason is that some of the sides, like us, have over-achieved for the money they are paying out and other big-spending sides have lost a few games unexpectedly.

"Put those two things together and that is why there is not much to choose between all the sides."

Adrian Hawes should be fit after being carried off against FC United with a leg injury but Gary Sucharewycz joined Grantham earlier this week.