Wednesday, November 18, 2009

It’s full time for football liasion police officer Tony

Source: Bury Times

10:59am Wednesday 18th November 2009

A police officer has blown the final whistle on his career after spending almost a decade keeping an eye on the terraces at Bury FC.

PC Tony Brown has retired from Greater Manchester Police after 20 years.

Much of his work involved keeping visitors to Gigg Lane safe in his role as Bury FC’s football liaison officer.

The officer joined GMP in 1990 after serving with the Military Police and all his career was spent working on Bury division which included an eight year stint as a neighbourhood officer in Ramsbottom.

He travelled the country with Bury FC and helped establish FC United at Gigg Lane in 2005.

He said: “I have enjoyed every minute of my career and have made many lifelong friends in the community, football and in the force.

“I am looking forward to spending more time with my family. However, I will miss the camaraderie between officers and staff at Bury. I will also miss the challenges the job brings and the feeling of satisfaction that comes from successfully tackling criminals and making the borough safer.”

Bury FC secretary, Jill Neville said: “We wish Tony the best for the future and I can speak for everyone at the club when I say we have always thought of him as more of a good friend rather than a work colleague.”

Bury divisional commander, Chief Superintendent Jon Rush commented: “Tony has been a great asset to this division and will be missed by his many friends and colleagues in Bury.”