Monday, August 23, 2010

Nine-man Marine felled by FC United

Source: Liverpool Daily Post

Aug 23 2010 Liverpool Daily Post

NINE-MAN Marine fell to opening day defeat at home to FC United of Manchester.

Yesterday afternoon’s first match of the season at the Arriva Stadium saw the rebel side emerge 2-0 victors with both goals coming from hot shot Michael Norton (15 pen and 54) with the Mariners’ misery compounded with two dismissals.

Striker Thomas Moore saw red just after the hour and on his competitive debut for the club Kevin Leadbetter picked up two cautions to be sent off in the 72nd minute.

Cammell Laird stormed to opening day victory by thumping Radcliffe Borough.

Paul Wheeler’s goal five minutes before the break set the Kirklands side on their way to a 4-0 win with goals from Anthony Lipson (46), John Corrigan (52) and Shaun Tuck (82) completing the Evo-Stik First Division North rout.

Skelmersdale United handed manager Tommy Lawson the winning start he craved with a 2-1 victory over Wakefield. Karl O’Donnell popped up with just three minutes left to make it 2-1 to the West Lancashire side. Marc Roberts stunned the Skem faithful with a fifth minute opener but Chris Almond levelled with a penalty (25) before O’Donnell’s dramatic winner.

Warrington Town also required a goal deep into the second half to secure a first day three points against Ossett Albion.

Shane Kelsey had given the Yorkshire hosts the lead after 18 but Tony Evans replied six minute later before the experienced Gavin Salmon won it for Joey Dunn’s men in the 83rd minute. Elsewhere in the First Division North, Prescot Cables drew 0-0 at Harrogate Railway Athletic.

Burscough fell to opening weekend defeat in the Evo-Stik Premier Division as Lee Steele bagged the only goal to hand Ashton United the win.

Tuesday night’s fixtures: Burscough v Matlock Town, Chasetown v Marine, Prescot Cables v Salford City, Radcliffe Borough v Skelmersdale United, Warrington Town v Chester FC - all game kick-off at 7.45pm.