Saturday, November 06, 2010

No night on the tiles for FC United hero Norton

Source: M.E.N.

November 06, 2010

Match-winner Mike Norton was due back at work on Saturday morning after his last- minute heroics in FC United's 3-2 FA Cup win over Rochdale.

The goalscorer was right on time to pinch the ball from Rochdale keeper Josh Lillis for the 94th minute winner – but then had another pressing deadline.

“I was in work at 8am this morning and I will be working in the morning,” said the tiler after the game. “ I need to finish off a bathroom job I have only half done!

“That’s the kind of game you dream of playing in. It was 15 lads out there giving absolutely everything.

“It’s probably going to be me that gets the headlines as I scored the winning goal but it really was a team performance, the management, the staff and the fans.

“My mum and dad, my girlfriend and her mum all came to watch the game. On the pitch at the end I was on my best mate’s shoulders. It was a great feeling.”

FC manager Karl Marginson said: “Rochdale possibly didn’t deserve to lose but that’s the FA Cup. I was asking the fourth official how long was left and the ball was in the back of the net.”

Meanwhile, Rochdale boss Keith Hill was left dumbfounded by Norton's controversial winner.

While Hill magnanimously said the visitors probably deserved their win, he was angered by the referee Geoff Eltringham’s decision to allow the goal to stand.

“I think he possibly got it wrong and it would be nice if the referee admitted to getting it wrong,” he said.

“At the end of the day he has got the decision wrong but the goal stands. I thought FC were excellent, the crowd were electric, absolutely superb and they deserve to go through.

“But it's the third time this season I’ve been done by a refereeing decision and I do consider that to be a bad decision. There are no sour grapes, I wish FC the best and they deserve to be celebrating.”