Friday, November 05, 2010

Rochdale 2 - 3 FC United of Manchester

Source: BBC

A dramatic last-gasp goal by Michael Norton put FC United of Manchester into the second round of the FA Cup with a stoppage-time win over Rochdale.

Nicky Platt's chip put the non-League side ahead just before half time after he was put through by Jerome Wright.

Jake Cotterill made it 2-0 with a stunning strike before Anthony Elding headed one back for the hosts.

Craig Dawson's header from a corner levelled it before Norton poached the winner from Dale keeper Josh Lillis.

FC United were formed in 2005 as a breakaway club by supporters opposed to the Glazer family's takeover of Premier League giants Manchester United.

Wouldn't it be real Roy of the Rovers stuff if they end up meeting Man Utd in the 3rd Round!

Tony Day

They play in the Evo-Stik Premier Division, four divisions below fellow Greater Manchester side Rochdale, who were promoted to League One last season.

The winning goal, in the fourth minute of added time, had an element of controversy about it as Rochdale claimed that Norton had kicked the ball out of Lillis's hands, but referee Geoff Eltringham waved away their protests, seconds before blowing the final whistle which prompted a pitch invasion from the jubilant United fans.

"I thought the referee was going to blow for a free-kick but he only had one hand on it," admitted Norton.

"We were dreading a replay, my legs wouldn't have taken it."

Manager Karl Marginson said: "I can't decide whether we deserved it or not.

"Rochdale were magnificent at times the way they moved the ball around, but we defended superbly apart from the two set-pieces which brought them back into the game."

Dale boss Keith Hill felt that FC United probably deserved their victory but was unhappy that the winning goal was allowed to stand.

"I think he [Eltringham] possibly got it wrong and it would be nice if the referee admitted to getting it wrong," said Hill.

"At the end of the day he has got the decision wrong but the goal stands. I thought FC were excellent, the crowd were electric, absolutely superb and they deserve to go through."

FC United are the first team to book their place in the draw for the second round, which will take place at approximately 1400 GMT on Sunday after the live television coverage of the match between Southport and Sheffield Wednesday.

Rochdale manager Keith Hill told BBC Radio Manchester:
"We've not lost any points we've lost a cup-tie and I'm not too sure we deserved to lose but I'm not sure we deserved to win either.

"It's not embarrassing, it's a football match and they were very competitive and I thought they were a very good side.

"They [Rochdale fans] have got a right to be disappointed - they expect us to win these matches but unfortunately we haven't."

FC United of Manchester manager Karl Marginson told BBC Radio Manchester:
"For long periods of that game we've been right under the cosh and we've rode our luck a little bit but I suppose that's the FA Cup isn't it?

"I can't ask for more than the work that they've put in but if you play against teams from higher divisions you've got to show heart and spirit and we showed that in abundance tonight.

"I think it's been entertaining as I've been in the middle of it so hopefully everybody else has enjoyed it and you'll go far to see a better second goal."