Monday, September 19, 2011

Last-gasp equaliser means Rebels must play it again

 Source: MEN

 FC United's hopes of another money-spinning FA Cup run are already on a knife-edge after they allowed Woodley Sports to escape Gigg Lane with a first qualifying-round replay.

The Rebels, who famously knocked out Rochdale last season before losing to Brighton, looked set to squeeze over the opening hurdle in the dying seconds, after leading through Nicky Platt’s 40th minute header.

But Woodley’s Gary Gee then stunned FC by snatching an equaliser with virtually the last kick to leave Karl Marginson’s men facing a tricky re-match at Glossop North End’s Surrey Street ground tomorrow night as Sports aren’t allowed to stage FA Cup ties on their artificial pitch.

United, who’d seen Carlos Roca hit the bar after he'd set up Platt’s seemingly match-winning strike, appeared to have done enough to secure their passage when keeper Scott Spencer denied former Rebels fans favourite Stuart Rudd a gilt-edged opportunity to level matters with 90 minutes already on the clock.

But there was still time for Gee to earn Woodley a second bite when his 20-yard drive crept in with Spencer stranded off his line.

Meanwhile, Ashton United and Radcliffe are both safely through to the next stage.

Peter Wright hit two, one of them a penalty, as the Robins came from behind to thrash Runcorn Town 5-1, while Boro’s Griff Jones struck twice from the spot to sink Cammell Laird 2-1.

Trafford paid for missed chances in bowing out 2-0 to visiting Northwich, but Maine Road can have no complaints about their exit after being hammered 5-1 at Lancaster.

New Mills were similarly humbled by Deeping Rangers, but Garry Flitcroft’s Chorley kept their cup dreams alive with a 1-1 draw at AFC Fylde.

Ramsbottom must also try again tomorrow after their home tie with Nantwich was postponed due to a waterlogged pitch.

In Blue Square Bet Premier, Stockport County earned their first victory in seven matches with a 2-0 win over Grimsby Town.

Sean McConville opened the scoring after 23 minutes, Tom Elliott netting the second on the hour at Edgeley Park.

Altrincham’s stuttering start in Blue Square Bet North continued with a 2-0 defeat at lowly Solihull.

Droylsden crashed 3-2 to visiting Hinckley despite Ciaran Kilheeney and Dale Johnson having put them two-up in 13 minutes.

Matthew Kay’s late hat-trick kept Curzon Ashton flying high in Evo-Stik North as they beat Prescot 4-1.

Mossley maintained their recent revival with Cameron Darkwah bagging his fifth goal in three games in their 2-1 home win over Salford City.

Glossop North End climbed to second in the North West Counties League with a 3-0 romp at Colne.

Tony Glennon
September 19, 2011