Monday, September 05, 2011

Non-League: Matthew Berkeley staves off bosses curse

 Source: MEN

 Hyde chief Gary Lowe avoided the manager-of-the-month curse as his table- topping Tigers extended their winning start to seven games with a thrilling 3-2 victory over Harrogate at Ewen Fields.

It needed an injury-time penalty by Matthew Berkeley to maintain Hyde’s perfect record under Lowe in Blue Square Bet North after they’d twice trailed the Yorkshire visitors.

Lowe picked up his top boss’s award for August prior to kick-off but was then left stunned as Hyde found themselves 2-1 down inside 20 minutes, Ryan Crowther having briefly fired them back on terms.

Dan Broadbent then bagged a second equaliser on the stroke of half-time but the Tigers had to wait until second-half stoppage time before Berkeley coolly netted the winner from the spot after referee Peter Wright had spotted a push on Chris Worsley.

Lowe, who was again without his nine-goal star striker Scott Spencer through injury, said: “We weren’t at the races in the first half but showed great character to come back and win.”

Hyde’s seventh successive triumph keeps them two points ahead of fierce rivals Stalybridge Celtic, who held onto second spot with Lloyd Ellams’ 57th-minute strike giving them win number six at Histon.

Meanwhile, fellow Tamesiders Droylsden climbed back up to eighth with John Hardiker and Ciaran Kilheeney on target in their 2-1 home victory over
Colwyn Bay.

Altrincham’s disappointing start under Lee Sinnott continued as they squandered two points to a stoppage-time equaliser at Gloucester after Nicky Clee’s 53rd-minute goal had put them within touching distance of a much-needed win.

FC United drop to seventh in Evo-Stik Premier following a frustrating goalless draw with new boys Rushall Olympic at Gigg Lane.

The Rebels, who plundered nine goals in their previous two games, had 14 shots on target compared to the visitors’ one but couldn’t make the breakthrough.

Ashton United returned to winning ways with substitute Sam Madeley’s 79th-minute goal enough to earn them full points at Frickley.

Garry Flitcroft’s Chorley returned to pole position courtesy of a 1-0 victory at Whitby, while Northwich’s Andy Preece celebrated his manager-of-the-month award by steering Vics back up to second as they beat Worksop 2-1 thanks to Ryan Wade’s first-half double.

Woodley booked a tasty FA Cup first qualifying round date at FC United a week on Saturday as they eased past visiting Bootle 3-1 in the preliminary-round.

Trafford beat Cheadle 3-0 to set up a mouth-watering home tie with Northwich, while Ramsbottom will next entertain Nantwich after coming from behind to beat Salford City 2-1.

Radcliffe’s 3-0 romp over Holker Old Boys secures them a trip to the Wirral to face Atherton LR’s conquerors Cammell Laird, while New Mills go to Deeping Rangers after overcoming Rainworth Miners Welfare 3-2. Mossley, Curzon Ashton and Maine Road all face tricky away replays after failing to make the most of home advantage.

Meanwhile, Abbey Hey stay top of the NWCL first division despite having their unbeaten start halted in a 2-1 defeat at Oldham Borough.

Tony Glennon
September 05, 2011