Monday, December 12, 2011

Guiseley AFC: Off-colour Lions seal late progress

 Source: Yorkshire Evening Post

 Guiseley boss Steve Kittrick admitted his side were “poor” as they scrambled to a 2-0 victory over Evo-Stik League outfit FC United of Manchester in the first round of the FA Trophy at Nethermoor.

The Blue Square Bet North side overcame their plucky opponents thanks to goals from Gavin Rothery and Lee Ellington, but they had to do it the hard way, frustrating fans with some misplaced passes and spurned chances.

Despite missing Simon Baldry through injury and Chris Senior, who was cup-tied, the Lions would still have fancied their chances and they began well, Ciaran Toner driving an early effort over the bar.

Andy Holdsworth then headed over before the visitors hit the woodwork after a corner caused the home defence problems.


Two moments Kittrick described as “game-changing” then occurred within minutes, both Danny Boshell and Danny Forrest forced off with hamstring tweaks. It clearly affected the hosts, who then struggled to lift the pace.

The Lions stepped up when it mattered most, however, and it was Rothery who made the breakthrough in the 76th minute, hitting the post before pouncing on the rebound. Guiseley then wrapped things up with Rothery dinking in to Ellington who fired home.

Kittrick said: “There’s no point dwelling on it because you’re going to get those sorts of performances. We’ve won 2-0 but we’ve been poor. At the end of the day you’ve got to take your chances when your team’s not playing well and you’re not having the best of times.”

Elsewhere, only a last-minute equaliser from Jon Challinor stopped York City from going out of the Trophy at the first round stage for the second year running.

Last year Boston United, from Blue Square North, won 1-0 at Bootham Crescent and Solihull, from the same league, were unlucky not to win after being the better side on Saturday.

They shook York with a third-minute goal from Jordan Fitzpatrick and although City levelled with a Matty Blair header from Danny Pilkington’s centre two minutes later, Solihull were back in front on 39 minutes.

Richard Walker, who had missed the game’s best chance seven minutes earlier, scored with a low shot off the inside of Michael Ingham’s right-hand post.

Pilkington shot wide after breaking clear when he had time to go round keeper Jasbir Singh and York were denied a clear penalty when Stuart Langdon handled Matty Blair’s shot.

Junior English hit the post for Solihull and the visitors appeared to have the game won until the third of four minutes of stoppage-time when Adriano’s pass up the middle saw Challinor appear to foul Singh before bundling the ball home from what Solihull claimed was an offside position.

York manager Gary Mills said: “We have had a bad day at the office, but we kept going and got the break we needed, although Solihull will have gone home thinking they deserved more than a replay.”

Harrogate Town did exit the competition, putting in a tremendous effort in going down 3-2 at Blue Square Premier outfit Barrow. Will Turl and Laurie Wilson netted for Simon Weaver’s Blue Square North outfit,

Meanwhile, in the only game in Blue Square North, FC Halifax Town were 3-0 winners against Blyth Spartans at the Shay, Jamie Rainford, James Walshaw and Jason St Juste with the goals.

Published on Monday 12 December 2011 10:01