Monday, December 12, 2011

Guiseley overcome early injuries to make Trophy progress

 Source: Bradford Telegraph and Argus

 Guiseley 2, FC United of Manchester 0

Guiseley were victorious in their FA Trophy tie at home to FC United of Manchester but the Lions were far from rampant.

Steve Kittrick’s men booked their place in tomorrow’s second-round draw but it was more of a workman-like display, rather than a mesmerising performance.

That is probably paying due credit to FC United, who may be a step below Guiseley on the football pyramid but still present a formidable challenge.

The hosts were forced into first-half alterations to their game plan when they suffered two early injuries, with striker Danny Forrest (hamstring) and midfielder Danny Boshell (groin) both being forced off.

They were already without Chris Senior, who is on loan from Blue Square Bet Premier Division outfit Alfreton Town. His parent club’s manager Nicky Law did not want his player cup-tied.

Despite the shuffling of his pack, Kittrick’s side did force openings in the goalless first half.

Ciaran Toner fired over in the first minute and Andy Holdsworth shot just wide two minutes later.

Former Huddersfield Town player Holdsworth went close again midway through the half when he headed over from a Dave Merris cross.

Gavin Rothery had a shot deflected for a corner and Toner twice went close again before Joe O’Neill, who had replaced Forrest, put the last chance of the first half off target.

FC United had more possession after the break then they had enjoyed in the first period and it took Guiseley a while to create another opening.

Skipper Simon Ainge headed wide from a Holdsworth corner before the breakthrough finally came.

Rothery saw his 71st-minute shot parried by the visitors’ keeper but he netted at the second attempt – and later turned provider.

His good work and intelligent pass set up Lee Ellington and he put the result beyond doubt three minutes from time.

Lions spokesman Stuart Allen said: “We are in the hat, which the important thing.

“It wasn’t the most convincing performance, and the two early injuries disrupted us, but we did the job.

“They (FC United) had a lot of possession, especially in the second half, but they didn’t really have our defence in trouble and keeper Steven Drench had very little to do.”

5:30pm Sunday 11th December 2011 in Sport

By Ian Whiting