Friday, September 08, 2006

MEN: Postbag 1

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.usSource: M.E.N.

Hardest football decision that I have ever made

SIR Alex Ferguson, we are told, is wondering just how big United supporters we at FC United are or were?

I can only speak for myself, but I attended my first match in 1956, and last season would have been my 50th.

Walking away was the hardest football decision I have ever had to make, but, for me and many others, Glazer was not the only reason.

We did protest at the formation of the PLC, but were not listened to. As for Fergie’s comment that “the club took a decision and the fans should back it” – what nonsense.

Glazer imposed himself – and his debts – on to the club, which had no say in the matter.

Many fans have hated becoming a “global brand” and have been disheartened at the growth of corporate hospitality, Megastore bag-carrying day trippers, and the removal of the game of football from its traditional working-class roots. We have despaired at the outrageous prices which outlaw Manchester youth from regular attendance.

It’s not just United, of course. I know fans of City and other clubs who are equally disillusioned.

As for FC United fans promoting and projecting themselves – preposterous! Does he know that the steering group who set up the club worked for months unpaid to get things going? I have acted as a volunteer myself when I can, as have many others, all without thought of reward.

Perhaps the millionaires at Old Trafford need to have a reality check. Not everything in life can be bought with the mighty dollar.

When we sang “Not for sale”, we really meant it.

John Stenson, Ladybarn