Saturday, October 20, 2007

Priestley joins United

By Mike Day

Chorley goalkeeper Phil Priestley has spoken of his disappointment at leaving the club – but admits manager Gerry Luczka couldn't pick him.

The 31-year-old has taken up the post of goalkeeping coach at FC United after finding himself on the sidelines following the inspirational form of Peter Collinge.

Priestley, who missed most of last season with a knee injury, had been in good form this campaign until picking up an injury in the first FA Cup clash with Clitheroe.

A back injury then hampered his performance in the 5-3 defeat away at Newcastle Blue Star and Luczka signed Collinge as cover.

The stand-in 'keeper has kept three clean sheets in succession, leaving Priestley out in the cold.

When the position of goalkeeping coach at FC United came up Priestley said it was too good an offer to turn down.

"I need to be involved," he told the Guardian. "Gerry let me have input, even when I wasn't playing last season.

"No disrespect to Chorley but FC United are a massive club. They are looking at setting up (football) schools and I'm looking to the future."

He said three other UniBond clubs have coming knocking in the last week wanting to sign him but he wants to build on his coaching career.

"The knee injury last season was bad," he said. "Things were fine this year and then I picked up an injury against Clitheroe. Peter Collinge came in and he's done fantastic.

"I can't go banging on Gerry's door. This opportunity came up and I've got to look for the future.

"I'm still running my goalkeeping schools in Chorley and I genuinely wish the Magpies all the best."

Last Updated: 18 October 2007 11:27 AM