Monday, September 27, 2010

Brian Little: I should not have to put up with pathetic abuse

Source: Lincolnshire Echo

BRIAN LITTLE said the "pathetic" abuse he received from a small group of Gainsborough Trinity supporters during the FA Cup defeat at FC United of Manchester was unacceptable.

The Blues boss has received a lot of criticism following a poor start in the Blue Square Bet North. And the pressure grew further as his side lost 2-1 to their in Evo-Stik League Premier Division opponents in the Second Qualifying Round tie played at Bury's Gigg Lane.

While Little says he can handle the criticism, he insisted he should not have to put up with the abuse he received from a few Trinity fans behind the dugout.

"The abuse I get off two or three people, one especially so, is unreal," said Little.

"If I shouted at him like that I'd be arrested.

"I accept criticism off fans, but the only word you can use for this is abuse. It's pathetic and it's not right.

"If the fella doesn't want me to be here, I accept that, but some of the words he used towards me and some of the actions towards me are ridiculous.

"We are all human beings and whether I'm doing well or not, I'm still trying and I don't need that off people."

Trinity lost striker Luke Beckett to a knee injury after 30 minutes, but his replacement, debutant Ryan Kendall, impressed.

He almost scored with his first touch, just missing from close range, then he brought a good save from Zach Hibbert with a volley from the edge of the box.

On 38 minutes Trinity took the lead. Karl Munroe was adjudged to have impeded Jefferson Louis as a cross came into the box, and Lewis McMahon scored from the resultant spot-kick.

However, the lead only lasted five minutes.

Jimmy Holden squared the ball to former Trinity striker Glynn Hurst who side-footed home.

The home side took the lead early in the second half in controversial circumstances.

The referee chose to play a Trinity advantage when Mark Greaves was crudely upended by Scott McManus.

The Trinity move broke down and United broke forward with Holden's cross being headed in by Hurst.

Little was angry at the referee, but admitted his centre-backs had a poor game.

"I thought we played well for the first 45 minutes and I was absolutely gutted that we went in 1-1," he said.

"We played some decent stuff, caused them a lot of problems, and maybe should have scored a few more goals.

"Then in the second half I can't understand why the referee would make us play on when we've got a player who genuinely needs treatment.

"We were suckerpunched, but that doesn't really take away from the fact that the two centre-backs got pulled around.

"They struggled and we've had that for four weeks now.

"I hope Gavin (Cowan) is going to be fit for next week. He's trained a couple of times this week. I'll also be speaking to the chairman about possibly bringing someone else in.

"If the centre-backs are sorted out it will make us a different team."

TRINITY: Barnes, Williams, Waterfall, Hume, Peat, McMahon, Greaves, Clarke, Aiston, Louis, Beckett. Subs not used: Spafford, Ward, Mayo, Hibbert, Davis, Boyce.