Sunday, March 19, 2006

FC United 8-1 Leek CSOB

Source: The Non-league Paper (no online content).
NLP Report

By: Wayne Clark

This was an emotional occasion for the followers of FC United as the hosts for their first ever match arrived at Gigg Lane for the return fixture.

Those happy memories of a very wet afternoon in August at Leek seem like years ago now as the team push on at the top of the league table in this inaugural season.

Leek CSOB must have been expecting a backlash from United after Flixton inflicted defeat on the champions-elect on Wednesday evening. Karl Marginson, the United manager, made six changes to his line-up in response to the below-par performance in midweek.

The new look team took little time to find their stride as player/assistant manager Phil Power opened the scoring in the fourth minute with a tap-in from a Torpey cross.

On eight minutes the lead was doubled as Patterson headed home after Rob Nugent had headed back a Torpey corner taken from the United right. This second goal on the day was United’s 100th competitive goal of the season.

The third goal was again added by Patterson who picked up a loose ball after good work from Will Ahern and side-footed in from six yards. Steve Torpey then added another after receiving a neat pass from Power in a central position at the edge of the area. Torpey carried the ball toward goal before calmly finishing beyond the reach of James Hall in the Leek goal.

Just after the half-hour and Leek registered a consolation through Matt Bradbury after a Melville clearance struck Chadwick full in the face. The rebound favoured the visitors as Bradbury easily reached the loose ball ahead of Melville to roll it into the empty net.

United immediately responded through Power again who finished after being played in by Dave Swarbrick’s incisive through ball. This fifth goal was scored while Chadwick received treatment. The United captain rejoined to finish the half but would not emerge after half-time.

Dave Swarbrick scored his first for his new club, via the left hand post, early in the second period, after a neat one-two with substitute Joz Mitten, to make it 6-1.

Leek had a good period for 20 minutes where they kept United at bay but they were asking few questions at the other end as debutant Melville was largely untroubled in the United goal.

The best goal of the match, on 83 minutes, completed Rory Patterson’s hat-trick. It came about after a United corner was cleared out to Dave Brown just outside of the area. Brown rolled the ball back to Patterson, now in midfield for United, who took a couple of strides forward before hitting a right-footed thunderbolt from 30 yards that flew into the net with Hall hopelessly beaten.

The drubbing was rounded off as Chris Simms turned in the rebound after a Darren Lyons shot struck a post.

STAR MAN: Patterson (FC Utd)