Monday, August 24, 2009

Draw for Retford United

Published Date: 24 August 2009

A GLORIOUS afternoon for football saw a large crowd enjoy an entertaining game as both sides looked for their first win.

Peter Duffield stuck with the team that drew 1-1 with North Ferriby last week with striker Mick Godber making his 100th appearance for the Badgers.

FC United struck first - the tricky Carlos Roca firing a shot at James Lindley, who dived low to palm the ball away.

Then Paul Ellender had a chance, but the midfielder blazed his shot over the bar.

FC United found the net on eight minutes. Ben Deegan raced through to slot the ball past Lindley, but his celebrations, and those of the vociferous travelling support, were soon silenced as the flag was raised for offside.

Chris Bettney then made a deep run into FC United territory, but a superb challenge by Danny Warrener stopped him in his tracks.

Retford kept up the pressure, Terry Barwick and Paul Grimes combined, with Grimes sending a ball across the face of goal, but Harvey was unable to make contact.

Warrener managed to thwart Retford again as he cleared Godber's goal-bound header.

Roca was proving a handful on the right wing, but Dan White had the measure of him, giving the Argentinian winger very little.

Shortly before the break, a flashpoint in the match saw Barwick challenge Warrener, then the FC United player retaliated, causing players from both sides to get involved.

Once calm was restored, the referee cautioned Barwick for his part, and Warrener counted himself lucky as he only saw yellow for the retaliation.

The first half ended with a volley from FC United captain Rob Nugent saved well by Lindley.

Retford started the second half strongly as Harvey forced one of several saves from Ashton as the Badgers looked to take the advantage.

The goal finally came on 52 minutes. Good work from Harvey sent the ball out to Bettney, the winger cut inside into the box and fired home across Ashton to give Retford a deserved lead.

Play was stopped for a minute as an FC United fan entered the field of play before being returned to the stand covering his modesty, and it was a minute later on 57 minutes when the visitors found themselves back in the game. Adam Tong rose to meet a cross and his powerful header went over Lindley and into the net.

The visitors then had a shout for a penalty as Roca was brought down in the box, but the referee waved away the appeals immediately.

As the minutes ticked down, Ford played through Colin Marrison who took the ball in his stride, but his effort went wide. Then Dan White almost won it at the death, but his header from a corner went the wrong side of the post.

Another draw for Retford, but another fine performance as they find their way in the new division.

The Badgers travel to troubled club Durham City on Tuesday evening before another away fixture at Buxton on Saturday. Bank Holiday Monday should see a return to Cannon Park as Kings Lynn are the visitors.