Thursday, August 27, 2009

Retford put four points on board

Source: Retford Today

Retford United 1 FC United of Manchester 1

Published Date: 27 August 2009

A GLORIOUS afternoon for football saw a large crowd enjoy an entertaining game as both sides looked for their first win.
Peter Duffield stuck with the team that drew 1-1 with North Ferriby last week, with striker Mick Godber making his 100th appearance for the Badgers.

FC United struck first – the tricky Carlos Roca firing a shot at James Lindley, who dived low to palm the ball away.

Then Badgers' Paul Ellender had a chance, but the midfielder blazed his shot over the bar.

FC United found the net on eight minutes. Ben Deegan raced through to slot the ball past Lindley, but his celebrations were soon silenced as the flag was raised for offside.

Roca was proving a handful on the right wing, but Dan White had the measure of him, giving the Argentinian winger very little.

Shortly before the break, a flashpoint in the match saw Barwick challenge Warrener, then the FC United player retaliated, causing players from both sides to get involved.

Once calm was restored, the referee cautioned Barwick for his part, and Warrener counted himself lucky as he only saw yellow for the retaliation.

The first half ended with a volley from FC United captain Rob Nugent, saved well by Lindley.

Retford started the second half strongly as Harvey forced one of several saves from Ashton as the Badgers looked to take the advantage.
The goal finally came on 52 minutes. Harvey sent the ball out to Bettney, the winger cut inside the box and fired home across Ashton to give Retford a deserved lead.

Play was stopped for a minute as an FC United fan entered the field of play before being returned to the stand covering his modesty (see page 6), and it was a minute later on 57 minutes when the visitors found themselves back in the game.

Adam Tong rose to meet a cross and his powerful header went over Lindley and into the net. Another draw for Retford, but another fine performance as they find their way in the new division.

Durham City 1 Retford United 4

RETFORD made the long trip to troubled Durham City, buoyed by the news that the Cannon Park pitch had been passed fit for the Bank Holiday game against Kings Lynn.

Badgers started at a high tempo and it took only two minutes for Darryl Thomas to create the first chance, but his chip over the keeper fell wide of the target.

Evann Graham pushed forward for Durham, but his cross was well blocked by Dan White, then Paul Brayson found himself in a good position, only to fire over.

On 22 minutes, Thomas stormed past the defence to beat Rhys Jobling from the edge of his box to give United a deserved lead.

Retford were having much of the possession, and two minutes into stoppage time Mick Godber found the net with a bullet header.

Retford started the second half as they had finished the first, and on 49 minutes Godber scored his second of the evening, stabbing the ball home to make the points safe.

Commendably, Durham continued to fight and pulled a goal back when last season's UniBond League top scorer Paul Brayson fired home an unstoppable free-kick.

Badgers finished the job in the final minute when Paul Ellender, on as substitute, scored the fourth when he ran into the box to slot the ball past Jobling.

A great win for Retford as they pick up their first three points of the campaign. They now face a busy weekend with a trip to Buxton FC on Saturday followed by a home game, at Cannon Park, against Kings Lynn on Bank Holiday Monday (3pm).