Friday, August 14, 2009

Wilson rewarded for FC heroics

Source: Prestwich Advertiser

August 13, 2009

KYLE Wilson has been rewarded for his sensational goal scoring exploits with FC United last season by picking up the Greater Manchester non-league player of the year award plus a £500 cheque and a bottle of champagne.

Wilson netted 24 goals in just 32 appearances before signing for League Two side Macclesfield Town in the close season.

The 23-year-old said: "I’m delighted to have won the award and so grateful to FC United for giving me a leg up back into the League. FC are a great club and I enjoyed my time with them so much but I’ve wanted to return to the pro game ever since leaving Crewe."

FC manager Karl Marginson said: "I shudder to think how many goals Kyle would have finished up with for us had his season not been cut short (by injury).

"But let’s not forget that his general play was also outstanding, making him a worthy winner of the prestigious award.

"It came as no surprise when Macc came in for Kyle and, as much as we’re sorry to lose him, I’m sure that he will be a big success there."