Thursday, September 24, 2009

Guiseley prepare for FA Cup tie with two superb wins

Source: Wharfedale & Airedale Observer

10:00am Thursday 24th September 2009
By Rachel O'Connor »

GUISELEY prepared for Saturday’s FA Cup second qualifying round home game against Bamber Bridge with two superb away victories.

They disposed of league leaders FC United of Manchester 2-1 at their Gigg Lane ground at Bury and then produced a magnificent first-half display at Burscough on Tuesday night to take a 4-0 interval lead.

This ended up being the final score and sets Guiseley up well for their home clash with the UniBond Division One side Bamber Bridge on Saturday (3pm).

However, manager Steve Kittrick is taking nothing for granted against a side that defeated Guiseley in a pre-season friendly.

“We expect a tough game on Saturday, they are not a bad side and any Tony Greenwood side is well-organised. He knows what he is doing and has previously taken Fleetwood to the Premier Division title so we know what to expect,” said Kittrick.

Previous clashes between the two clubs, all in the UniBond League, between 1993 and the current day show 16 meetings with each team winning six and four being drawn.

The last time the sides met, in the 2004-5 season, Bamber Bridge triumphed 2-1, the game being sealed by a Richard Chattoe own goal after David Cooke had scored for Guiseley and King for Bamber Bridge.

Not one player from that Guiseley team remains with the club. The team was: John Lamb; Nathan Hay, Keiron O’Brien, Peter Sumner, Neil Grayston, James Stansfield, Dave Henry, Jonathan Hunt, Simon Parke, Richard Chattoe, Mark Stuart. Subs David Cooke (Sumner), Jeremy Illingworth (Grayston).

Kittrick is pleased with the two recent wins and said: “We gave a very professional performance at FC United, we worked very hard and got our reward, but on Tuesday at Burscough I thought we were outstanding. The new players Lee Askham and Harpal Singh did really well, Lee Tuck had a great game and Craig Bentham performed well when he came on but it was an all-round superb display.”

Guiseley will again go into the game without the injured Adam Muller and suspended James Walshaw while midfielder David Briggs has a suspected hernia. Chris Holland, who left the field at Burscough, is expected to be fit and Jerome Fitzgerald will be back from holiday.

The manager is in negotiations regarding on loan striker Damian Reeves, so his eligibility is not yet clear.

Two players who have left the club are former Rotherham United skipper Martin McIntosh, who had been wearing the captain’s armband at Guiseley, and James Nestor.

Centre-back McIntosh has left the club to pursue his coaching career while striker Nestor has joined Harrogate Railway, after scoring four goals against them for Guiseley Reserves recently.
FC United 1 Guiseley 2

GUISELEY edged a close game in front of a crowd of more than 2,000 at Bury’s Gigg Lane ground to move up to fourth place on Saturday.

FC United of Manchester are the best supported club in the division but they are only in mid-table while Guiseley with this win were just three points off then leaders Stocksbridge Park Steels and with a game in hand over them.

The visitors started well and forced several early chances. On loan striker Damian Reeves and Steve Burton both had shots saved before a third golden opportunity passed by as the ball flew over following a cross that had hearts in mouths in the home defence.

Mid-way through the half, a quick-fire double from midfielder Liam Needham turned the game in favour of Steve Kittrick’s men.

Burton was instrumental in the opener as it was his break and cross that gave Needham the chance. Having scored with a left-foot shot, he showed his versatility minutes later when he netted with a header. Guiseley had forced a corner and Dave Merris’ delivery was perfect for Needham.

FC United, who just missed out on the play-offs last season, ramped up their efforts and got back in the game. A good spell for them saw Guiseley’s lead cut before the break. Goalkeeper Jon Worsnop felt he had Jerome Wright’s shot covered but it took a slight deflection and the Guiseley stopper could not readjust in midair.

Although the home side bossed possession after the break, they failed to create many chances. Guiseley had opportunities to increase their lead but Reeves and Merris failed to convert from two late one-on-one situations.

Burscough 0 Guiseley 4

Guiseley gave a brilliant first-half performance at Burscough on Tuesday night. The pace, movement and passing were tremendous.

The third and fourth goals in particular were beautifully constructed. With two quick forwards, two quick wingers and solid tacklers in central midfield Burscough couldn’t live with Guiseley in the first-half and were comprehensively outplayed.

Unsurprisingly, the game went a little flat in the second-half although several more goals might have been added with better finishing. New signing Lee Askham looked a very good acquisition. The Guiseley goal rush started as early as the sixth minute when left-back Dave Merris took a corner and centre-back Danny Ellis was up there to head home.

In the 15th minute it was 2-0 when the Burscough number six was caught in possession by Lee Tuck who then ran into the box and crashed the ball home.

Just two minutes later it was 3-0 with a superb goal from Lee Tuck. A long ball from the back was cleverly flicked on by Damian Reeves into the path of Tuck and he sprinted into the box and smashed the ball left-footed into the net.

Midfielder Chris Holland left the field after 24 minutes to be replaced by Craig Bentham. Reeves got clean through but his effort hit the post. Guiseley did however extend their lead to 4-0 in the 36th minute when a superb passing move involving Reeves, Tuck and Askham saw the latter waltz into the box and calmly roll the ball into the net.

In the second-half after nine minutes a great left-footed effort by Askham was tipped over the bar by the ’keeper. After waiting since August 9 for his international clearance to come through, after playing in Ireland, former Leeds United player Harpal Singh eventually made his Guiseley debut.

After getting a taste of the action he was substituted in the 75th minute by Steve Burton. Askham, after a superb performance, was replaced in the 80th minute by Chris Davey.

There was one final effort from Guiseley in the 90th minute when Burton was superbly set up by Merris but his goalbound shot was saved.