Thursday, September 24, 2009

Worksop Town 3 FC United of Manchester 1

Source: Worksop Guardian

Published Date: 24 September 2009

By Graham Smyth

WHAT a difference two wins make.

UniBond Premier
Worksop Town 3
FC United of Manchester 1

Worksop Town have put one of the worst weeks in the club's recent history firmly behind them with six points from their last two games.

With only one loss in nine league outings, Tigers suddenly look a different proposition from the side who hadn't won a game and could only seem to draw.

This was a game to savour for Tigers fans, who were segregated from their FC United counterparts thanks to an entirely unnecessary police intervention.

The visiting fans were a credit to themselves and their club throughout the 90 minutes, despite seeing their team reduced to 10 men and beaten comprehensively by Worksop.

An unchanged Tigers line-up started brightly, Ben Tomlinson using his pace to good effect to pressure the FC United defence and win a corner.
Kris Bowler's over-head kick from the set-piece was easily gathered by Sam Ashton in the visiting goal.

Tomlinson got away down the left thanks to a Danny Bacon pass, but his cross was poor, then the striker had a shot blocked on the edge of the box and on nine minutes he tore through the visitors down the middle but lose possession – although the referee brought play back for an earlier foul.

Referee Mr S. Cook got his book out for the first time on 20 minutes, showing yellow to Rob Nugent for bringing down Bacon as he latched on to a loose clearance from Ashton.

Seconds later Tomlinson was shown the same card for a late challenge.
FC United's first corner of the match brought a great save from Jon Kennedy, diving low at his back post to beat out Phillip Marsh's header.

With just 25 minutes gone the game began to slip away from FC United, Nugent falling foul of Mr Cook again when he brought down Tomlinson outside the area and saw his second yellow and subsequent red.

From the free-kick, Alex Callery whipped the ball in dangerously and Bacon's diving header found the net. 1-0 Tigers.

Bacon had a good chance to make it 2-0 on 33, but after picking up a loose pass his chipped effort was weak and Ashton caught the ball comfortably.

Danny Anson saw yellow for a late challenge on Carlos Roca and a minute later Danny Warrender was also cautioned for blocking Tomlinson's path.

With five minutes left in the half FC United replaced Simon Garner and Phillip Marsh with Jake Cotterill and Adam Tong.

The latter sent a free-kick just over the bar before the half came to a close.

Just 30 seconds after the break Tomlinson's shot was deflected to Callery, the midfielder shuffled his feet and blasted over the bar.
Tomlinson headed Scott Lowe's cross wide before Callery received a yellow card for a rash tackle on Deegan.

The early stages of the second half saw sloppy play from both sides and the best chance fell to Deegan, but the striker's header came off the bar.

Tigers broke immediately upfield, Tomlinson stripped Adam Carden of possession, touched it past Ashton and rolled the ball into the empty net to make it 2-0.

FC United could have got back into it on 63, but Lowe was there to clear when Kennedy failed to hold Roca's low shot.

Anson limped off for Tigers four minutes later, Matt Glass taking his place on the field and springing into action, drawing a foul from Ben Morris as he hared down the touchline.

On 73 minutes it was 3-0 and game over.

Tomlinson won the ball, fed his strike partner Bacon and the experienced forward slid the ball past Ashton and into the net.

FC United replaced Morris with Danny Williams with 15 to go, but Worksop created the next chance, Gary Townsend shooting well wide after two nice touches outside the area.

The visitors did get a goal back on 82 minutes, Tong getting the final touch to a dangerous cross.

A similar cross was dealt with by Kennedy with five left and then Carden got the game's final booking for his foul on Callery.

Man of the Match Tomlinson could have killed the game completely when he took Callery's pass in a good position, but he shot wide.

Try as they might, FC United could not create another clear cut opportunity and Mr Cook put his whistle to his lips and brought an entertaining game to a close.

Worksop Town: Kennedy 7, Asher 7, Davies 8, Jones 8, Lowe 7, Callery 8, Townsend 7, Anson 8 (Glass 67), Bowler 7, Bacon 8, TOMLINSON 9. Subs not used: White, Sanasy, Galloway, Chapman.