Monday, September 07, 2009

Joy for Droylsden but FC lose

Source: Manchester Evening News

Tony Glennon

September 07, 2009
DROYLSDEN boss Dave Pace insisted his barnstorming Bloods still have plenty more goals left in the tank after seeing them maintain their blistering start with a record-breaking victory.

Neil Sorvel (2), Paul Brown (2), Tony Gray, Simon Yeo and Alex Meechan (pen) shared in the carve-up as second-placed Droylsden thrashed visiting Stafford Rangers 7-1 to post their biggest-ever Blue Square North triumph.

It takes the Bloods' goals tally soaring to a quarter-of-a- century with the season still less than a month old and offers Pace's men the chance to replace Eastwood at the summit if they can follow up with another win against Harrogate at the Butcher's Arms tonight (7.45pm).

"Our passing and movement were superb and to score seven goals at this level is a tremendous achievement," said a jubilant Pace. "There's no telling what this squad can achieve, but, at the same time, it's crucial the players keep their feet on the ground and continue working hard."

No such joy for Hyde United or for their debut-making keeper Ayden Duffy, who was sent off after twice conceding penalties which played a key part in the Tigers tumbling 5-1 to visiting Alfreton.

Chris Lynch also saw red for Hyde as they sank to their third successive defeat, leaving manager Neil Tolson looking for an urgent response from his shell-shocked side when they lock horns with Gloucester at Ewen Fields tonight.

Hyde's latest set-back allowed bitter rivals Stalybridge to climb above them in mid- table with John Hardiker (29 mins) and Steve Woods (51) on target in a 2-1 victory at Farsley - Bridge's second win in five days.

Steve Burr's side had to dig deep but eventually proved too strong for a Farsley outfit who were happy simply to be playing at all after being saved from extinction by a dramatic late rescue act which had enabled the game to go ahead.

Northwich missed an opportunity to put clear daylight between themselves and the rock-bottom Yorkshire club as they went down 1-0 at Corby.

Meanwhile, FC United's three-match winning surge in UniBond premier was halted as they fell 1-0 at leaders Kendal.

But defeat was a little harsh on Karl Marginson's rebel Reds, who saw both Ben Deegan and Phil Marsh go close to cancelling out Mark Wane's 44th minute match-winning strike.

Kendal were then grateful to hold on for victory after being reduced to ten men when Michael Cole was sent off.

Ashton United seized on FC's Cumbrian setback to leapfrog them and go fourth by winning 1-0 at Bradford Park Avenue.

Ian Bennett's 57th minute header was enough to give the Robins their fourth win in six starts.