Tuesday, March 02, 2010

Ferriby settle for point

Source: Hull Daily Mail

Monday, March 01, 2010, 05:55

NORTH Ferriby shared the points in a thrilling 3-3 draw with FC United of Manchester at Gigg Lane.

Ferriby had 2-0 and 3-2 advantages before having to settle for another valuable point.

Manager Neil Allison had mixed emotions.

He said: "It was always going to be difficult facing an in-form side in front of such a big crowd, and in that respect it's good to come away with something, but if we'd carried our first half performance into the second, I know we could have picked up all three points."

Ferriby were ahead within five minutes through a bizarre own goal.

The advancing Alex Davidson was tackled in the box by Ludovic Quistin, and the FC United defence were left rooted to the spot as the loose ball rolled over the line.

FC immediately set about making amends for this early error, and Ferriby keeper Steve Wilson was in fine form to gather Ben Deegan's far post header after he was flicked on by Jerome Wright.

However, it was Ferriby who went in the happier side at half-time, thanks to doubling their advantage with a sublime move on 43 minutes.

Gary Bradshaw's ball over the top of the FC United defence put Chris Bolder through on goal; the midfielder advanced on goal before playing the ball to the left just in time for the on-rushing Mark Whitehouse to slot home.

Willed on by the 2,000-plus crowd, the home side set about rescuing the tie.

It was Deegan who finally made the breakthrough on 59 minutes, heading home a fine cross from substitute Phil Marsh. Within six minutes, Marsh's corner found the head of captain David Chadwick to bring them level.

On 71 minutes, Davidson's cross was met at the far post by the head of Bolder to put the Villagers back ahead.

Ferriby then looked to have gifted their hosts an equaliser five minutes later when the ball struck the hand of Ben Turner in the box. However, Marsh fired his penalty straight at Wilson.

Just moments afterwards, the referee was again pointing to the spot, after Kevin Larvin had brought down Carlos Roca as the FC United winger raced through on goal.

Larvin saw red for his challenge, and this time Deegan stepped up and made no mistake from the spot.

FC lost their numerical advantage soon after, when Rob Nugent was given his marching orders for a trip on Russell Fry.

Neither side was able to snatch all three points in the closing minutes, and honours were deservedly even at the final whistle.

North Ferriby: Steve Wilson, Tom Matthews, Kevin Larvin, Ben Turner, Paul Foot (c), Chris Bolder, David Cooke, Russell Fry, Alex Davidson (Ben Morley), Gary Bradshaw (Peter Davidson), Mark Whitehouse Subs not used: Colin Hunter, Ben Hallam.

FC United: Sam Ashton, Ludovic Quistin, Jake Cottrell, James Holden (Phil Marsh), David Chadwick (c), Rob Nugent, Carlos Roca, Simon Carden, Kyle Wilson (Joseph Yoffe), Jerome Wright, Ben Deegan Subs not used: Grant Shenton, Angelos Tsiaklis, Adam Karim.