Wednesday, October 14, 2009

FC United continue Cup run

Source: The FA

By Chris Hatherall - Wednesday, 14 October, 2009

Jerome Wright scores winning goal against Stalybridge.
The FA Cup sponsored by E.ON
Third Round Qualifying replays
7.45pm, Tuesday 13 October 2009
Winning clubs will receive £7,500 from The FA prize fund

Jerome Wright scored the goal that has sent FC United of Manchester into the Fourth Round Qualifying of The FA Cup, where they will play away to Northwich Victoria.

Karl Marginson’s side won 1-0 away at Stalybridge Celtic, a team who play 29 places above them in the league pyramid, after drawing the original tie 3-3 at Gigg Lane.

Wright sent a scorching shot past Stalybridge keeper Paul Phillips in the 33rd minute after Carlos Roca’s free-kick had fallen to him on the edge of the area.

Keith Briggs had the home side’s best chance to equalise when he shot straight at Sam Ashton late on and there was controversy after the final whistle when United’s Adam Carden was sent off for confronting an opponent as he left the field. But United boss Marginson was delighted with the result.

He said: “This has to be one of our finest hours and all credit to the boys for performing so magnificently on the night.

"Few people would have expected us to come here and win after Bridge held us at our place on Sunday, but I always had faith in our players and I don't think many of the 1,923 fans inside Bower Fold would argue we weren't worthy winners."

Elsewhere in The FA Cup, Kendal beat Guiseley 1-0, Southport saw off Alfreton Town 2-1 and Stourbridge enjoyed a crushing 6-1 victeory away to Hucknall Town.

Lincoln United needed a penalty shoot-out to win at Frickley following a 1-1 draw while Ilkeston Town won 3-1 at Eastwood and Bury Town just edged a seven-goal thriller at Bedford Town.

Ashford Town (Middlesex) lost 9-8 on penalties to Hendon while Mangotsfield also won on penalties, 4-3, following a 1-1 draw at Truro City.

Salford City produced an excellent performance to hold FA Cup legends Blyth Spartans 2-2 at Moor Lane and earn a replay in the North-East.The Unibond North underdogs trailed twice goals from Steve Harrison and Mark Doninger but hit back on both occasions, through Ian Fitzpatrick and then Rhodri Giggs.