Monday, February 23, 2009

BACUP DELIGHT AT STRIKERS` RETURN

Source: Non-league Daily

23/02/2009

Brent Peters, manager of Vodkat North West Counties League Premier Division club Bacup Borough, finally got his wishe when his leading marksman Tommy Turner (pictured above) returned to the club following a short stint at UniBond League Premier Division neighbours FC United of Manchester, where he bagged five goals in nine appearances.

A highly delighted Peters (right) said: “It`s not for me to question how an opposing manager wishes to conduct his selection policy. However, what I will say in the case of Tommy Turner is that he is without doubt a top striker who is a natural finisher.

“It’s my opinion that with any strikers they play on their confidence and their confidence comes with scoring goals, but that said they need to be playing regularly.

“Tommy’s return in games played at FC United certainly can’t be ignored. However, he needs to be playing every week and that is the reason he has returned to us.

“I stated on his departure that he had unfinished business here at Bacup Borough, and I also stated that he had bigger fish to fry than FC United of Manchester. This is something I firmly believe he will achieve with the help and guidance of myself and my excellent coaching staff of Lawrence Greenhalgh and Phil Melville.

“Tommy Turner has got a lot of football to be played here at Bacup, and with twenty-three league matches still to play, he has the chance to not only help push Bacup into a challenging position in the league but also he can achieve personal goals for himself.

“Currently he sits two goals behind the Premier Division’s leading goalscorer, and is in the running for the `golden boot` award. Should he achieve on both fronts, then who knows where that will take him, and by this I mean Conference or Football League level, such is the confidence I have in this lad.”