Monday, February 09, 2009

Non League round-up

Source: Manchester Evening News

February 08, 2009

FC UNITED'S UniBond premier promotion push skidded to a halt on a day when all but three of the region's senior semi-pro clubs saw their games fall victim to snow and ice.

The rebel Reds' hopes of consolidating their position in the play-off places came well and truly unstuck as their run of five wins in six games was ended in a crushing 3-0 defeat at title-chasing Nantwich.

Karl Marginson's men were soon up against it when the prolific Michael Lennon fired the hosts in front with a 13th minute penalty after Adam Tong had handled Glyn Blackhurst's goal-bound shot on the line.

Tong surprisingly escaped with a booking, but there were to be no more such lucky escapes for United as Nantwich sealed the points with further strikes by Ashley Carter and Lennon in the second-half.

Elsewhere, there was further woe for relegation-haunted pair Hyde United and Leigh Genesis as both lost yet again.

The troubled Tigers remain entrenched in the Blue Square North drop-zone after sinking 2-0 at high-flying Southport.

Ex-Droylsden striker Steve Daly was Hyde's two-goal assassin as the Sandgrounders cruised to victory over the cash-strapped Ewen Fields outfit.

Leigh wasted a chance to haul themselves off the foot of the UniBond premier division in going down 3-1 to Hednesford.

And Lee Merricks' side had no-one to blame but themselves as they squandered a hatful of chances before the championship-chasing visitors finally showed their class by easing into a three-goal lead.

Phil Marsh pulled one back on the hour, but it wasn't enough.

Meanwhile, Glossop's FA Vase fifth-round clash at Bitton and Altrincham's home Blue Square Premier date with Eastbourne headed the long list of postponed games.

Abbey Hey boosted their Vodkat premier division survival bid with Danny Heffernan scoring twice in their 3-1 win at Formby, while Flixton's Chris Smith was also a two-goal star as the Valley Road side came from behind to beat Colne 2-1.

Cheadle lost 1-0 to visiting first division leaders AFC Liverpool.