Monday, December 01, 2008

Bacup Borough lose top goalscorer to FC United

11:57am Monday 1st December 2008

BACUP Borough have lost Tommy Turner to FC United despite seven days of intense talks between the star striker and manager Brent Peters.

The Bacup boss had attempted to keep the striker at the club but had to admit defeat on Friday afternoon, as the lure of playing in front of large crowds for FC United of Manchester proved too great.

Turner, who leads the Lancashire Telegraph’s golden boot standings for the top non-league goalscorer in East Lancashire after finding the net 17 times this season, said: “This has probably been one of my hardest weeks in terms of the decision I have had to make.

“I can’t get away from the fact that I have always fancied the chance to play for FC United of Manchester.

“I just could not let this opportunity pass me by.

“Brent and myself have had several in-depth talks over the week and it really has been very difficult for me.

“I realise there is unfinished business at Bacup. I am sure that it will not be the last you will see of me in a Bacup Borough shirt.”

Peters said: “Almost every week there has been interest in Tommy from various other clubs.

“The most disappointing aspect for me is the fact that I firmly believe that there was a bigger and better move on the horizon for Tommy the way that he was going.

“I genuinely do hope that this move does not scupper his chances of a career-changing move because he is a top lad with bags of ability and obviously his goalscoring record does speak for itself.

“Bacup Borough will hold on to his North West Counties League registration. Should things not work out, then he will return.

“Situations like this can, but hopefully won’t, have an adverse effect on a season which we still have everything to play for.”