Sunday, April 16, 2006

NLP: How watching TV saw Rory join Rebels

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.usSource: The Non-League Paper (no online content)

FC UNITED'S mystery man believes that he is part of a remarkable story and thanks fate for his part in it.

Rory Patterson made his first appearance as a substitute in the Rebels' pre-season friendly with Stalybridge Celtic and was immediately nick-named "The Man With No Name" and "Mr Mystery", as he had no number on his back.

But nine months, 18 goals and a promotion later, the 21-year-old forward is a firm favourite.

"The fist time I was waiting to come on as a substitute I could hear the fans singing - it was unbelievable," he said. "We know we are part of something special, the start of something and it is a big deal to end the first season with promotion.

"We will always be part of the team that started it and that is a great feeling and certainly something to tell the kids."

The ex-Rochdale trainee joined from Radcliffe Borough in the summer but revealed that the story of his move ran in tandem with the roller-coaster that has been FC United.

"My story began as I played with Margi (Karl Marginson) at Radcliffe," the Ulsterman said. "When I saw on Sky he'd got the job, I picked up the phone and wished him all the best.

"A couple of weeks later I got a call from Karl asking if I'd like to join him. I jumped at the chance. I had no questions at the time and there are no regrets now. maybe it was fate that I saw it on Sky."

The striker has recently been on trial with League Two side Grimsby, but there are no doubts where his future lies.

"Here, with FC United," he said. "If he (Karl) wants me, I'm going to be on board."