Source: Shropshire Star
Up to 5,000 football fans are expected to sign a petition to help a Shropshire man get a much-needed operation.
Father-of-two Jamie Turner, 46, of Madeley, Telford, who was left fighting for his life after he was brutally attacked in Southampton in May last year, is desperate to have the operation to replace part of his skull which was removed during emergency surgery to help save his life.
But Telford & Wrekin Primary Care Trust told him he would not be undergoing surgery until June or July.
Mr Turner and his wife Karen said the operation should have been done within three to six months after it was first removed in May last year.
Mrs Turner has now launched an on-line petition that she will hand in to Telford & Wrekin PCT.
Thousands of fans are expected to sign the petition at a fundraising football match for the Jamie Turner Appeal on May 6.
AFC Telford United will take on FC United of Manchester — the non-League club set up by fans of the Premiership club disgruntled by the takeover of their club by American Malcolm Glazer.
The game will be a major step for Mr Turner who has battled through his recovery as it will be the first football match he has attended since the attack.
Mrs Turner said today she was pleased with the response received so far to the petition.
A spokesman for Telford & Wrekin PCT, said: “The PCT understands that Mr Turner’s operation has been listed for the end of June or the beginning of July and that Mr Turner will be provided with specific details regarding his admission nearer the time.
To read about Mr Turner’s battle since the attack visit the Jamie Turner Appeal website at www.only1treble.com
Anyone who wants to support the petition which will be given to the Telford & Wrekin PCT go to http://www.petitiononline.com/ *.
* the address in the original article doesn't work, so we've changed it to a link that does work...